Azithromycin is a potent antibiotic used in the effective treatment of many types of bacterial infections. These range from middle ear infections to sexually transmitted infections, even for malaria.
Here’s a list of Azithromycin prices:
In 1980, the first azithromycin dose was made. Today, it’s listed on the List of Essential Medicines issued by the World Health Organization (WHO), a safe and effective medication considered necessary in a modern health system. It comes in both generic and branded forms.
Azithromycin has been proven effective in the treatment of a wide range of infections including:
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease caused by S. pneumonia, M. catarrhalis or H. influenza
- Acute bacterial sinusitis caused by S. pneumonia, M. catarrhalis or H. influenza
- Community-acquired pneumonia caused by S. pneumonia, C. pneumoniae, H. influenza, or M. pneumonia
- Acute otitis media due to S. pneumonia, M. catarrhalis or H. influenza
- Pharyngitis caused by S. pyogenes, especially for patients who cannot avail of first-line therapy
- Cervicitis and urethritis caused by either N. gonorrhoeae or C. trachomatis
- Genital ulcer disease in men
- Uncomplicated infections in the skin and skin structure due to S. pyogenes, S. aureus, or S. agalactiae
In fact, the U.S. Centes for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends azithromycin as part of a treatment regimen for gonorrhoea. While azithromycin can be used in monotherapy, it’s typically combined with ceftriaxone for better treatment results.
The drug can be administered either through oral means or intravenously, usually in once-a-day doses. The common yet temporary side effects include diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, and upset stomach. It can be prescribed for pregnant and lactating mothers.